Sunday, September 10, 2006

A Wandering Minstrel

Congratulations to my sister Shan and her fiancee Mark on setting a date for their wedding.

On the 4th August 2007 (although I know these dates sometimes change nearer the time) she should be wandering through the makeshift mud ailse into a barn in south Kent to marry her beloved, in a manner beffiting two veterinarians.

I am flattered to have been asked to play guitar as Shan stomps down what I imagine to be a dirt track. This is going to be a proper hill-billy wedding!! Anyone who knows me will know that despite having been in possession of guitars for the best part of my life, guitar is not my strongest instrument. I better get practising, that or buy a lumberjack shirt and learn the banjo.

Shan's given me some leeway to think of something fitting myself. I will have to play my cards carefully here or risk creating some schism whereby I am no longer invited to family events nor indeed loved by my family anymore. So agit-prop may not be the order of the day, but I will not, I WILL NOT play something insipid like Jack Johnson.... OK, I will if they really want me to. Maybe I could persuade them with some Hank Williams.

Anyway, all my love to you both.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's great news. However do you really think your sister will be wading through mud?

Anonymous said...

What is it with all these weddings?! Congrats to Shannon and all of the Morton family though!

Dan said...

Mum - we can only hope.

Thom - we're getting to that dreaded age. Everybody wants to look like Marley.

James said...

Congratulations, Shannon and Mark !

Anonymous said...

congratulations!

Anonymous said...

Not sure hillbilly is the description I was hoping for - think I'm more likely to get into OK magazine if we call it rustic ?!
Thanks for the congrats guys...
What about a bit of Dylan ? I know he's a bit god squad now but no ones perfect

Dan said...

Dylan sounds perfect. But only if I can mimic his voice.

Dan said...

They're certainly high on list of consideration, but I suspect the Chilli Peppers will win the day.

Seriously, I'm thinking They Might be Giants.

Anonymous said...

MINIMUM WAAAGGGE! EYAH!

Anonymous said...

chas and dave?

James said...

The Wurzels !