Tuesday, July 04, 2006

More Bangkok photos

Head on a stick or f**king good beer? Khaosan.













Bored traders on the Khaosan. They can do anything up to a 12 hour working day, earning as little as 200 baht (about 3 quid) for their efforts.











Who's this, a backpacker? Pad Thai or rip-off T-shirts? Welcome to the Khaosan Road.














A notorious hang-out on Khaosan, that will be very familiar to anyone who's ever been in a Chicago Rock cafe (cock-raffle) with some pool tables upstairs. I celebrated with James here after Torquay managed to avoid relegation. There are Thai girls everywhere looking for falang custom inside. No, neither of us provided any!!
















Soi Rambuttri, nr. Khaosan road which James and I might have walked up and down a hundred times in the past couple of months. Pictured wandering off in the red t-shirt is Demitri, the author of the book mentioned on Wayward Pilgrimage.

















The only thing I've seen in Thailand which approaches anti-monarchical feeling. I think it's probably just a cool bit of graffitti rather than anything seditious. Most of you will know my mind on this subject.








The Chao Phraya river. It's got some alluring sights along it's banks and plenty of weed floating atop it's murky bulk. It is MUCH quicker to zip through the most central parts of Bangkok by river boat than by any other means of transport. A typical fair is about 50p.











Phra Sumen fort near our guesthouse. Where I performed the little exercise I roused my feeble body to conduct.

















A shot of the Democracy Monument in Banglumpoo. Looks pretty nice, especially with the filter from Kung's car windscreen at the top. In truth, people were massacred here by state forces during riots in 1992.

















Old civilisation or new? The view from the Golden Mount.


















Kung lights incense sticks before prayer. This is in small shrine beneath the roof-top chedi. We did ask permission for this photo.

















Ringing the bells. The ascent of the Golden Mount.















James and Kung on our way up the Golden Mount.

11 comments:

Thom said...

Don't know if you heard as well: RIP Syd Barrett.

Dan said...

Quite right Bonze. One of the bombs went off at Santa Cruz railways station, the once we used several times to get into Colaba (downtown) from Prabhat Colony.
The trains look extremely familiar in the pictures, we were on them only 3 months ago.

Thom - as you say RIP Syd.

Anonymous said...

Enough death and destruction, let's celebrate the fact that Dan looks hunky on the beach with his top off. Like a young Hasslehoff or an old Culkin.

Perhaps I can photograph you in red shorts on your return.

Dan said...

Craig, that's appreciated (I'll take Hasslehoff, thanks). I walking acros the Cambodian/Thai border yesterday and a bunch of local kids came up to me and started squeezing my bicep. They were laughing at how feeble and underdeveloped I am. When I get to Sydney it's time for some regular exercise I think...

Anonymous said...

A new colour? I could send you some ironing if you are bored? Mum

Dan said...

And you are finally bored enough to leave a comment! Pot. Kettle. Black.

Anonymous said...

That last picture of Kung and James is saucy! Hello!

Anonymous said...

Be nice to your mother! ;)

Dan said...

Jen - they are both very saucy individuals. They are also very enterprising and have hatched a plan to set up a a home cinema showing nothing but news channels and selling CNN branded popcorn.

Sarah - I am a fantastic son.

Anonymous said...

modest as always mr morton...

Anonymous said...

Moksh's Agarbatties are scented sticks that when burnt, give out fragrant fumes. Our Products are Bulk Incense Sticks, Incense Sticks Manufacturers in India.I have recently purchased Swarna Champa Bulk Incense Sticks and I like the same very much.
Bulk Incense Sticks

I wish to buy these in large packing/ Bulk quantity as your small box contained only 30 Nos. Daily I require 4 to 5 Nos. and more on auspicious days.
Kindly give me name and address of your company in Mumbai or your chief distributor along with telephone No. from whom I can buy in large number and possibly at a lower price.Incense Sticks, Bulk Incense Sticks, Incense Sticks Manufacturers, Bulk Incense Sticks India.Bulk Incense Sticks, Incense Sticks Manufacturers – India