Monday, April 03, 2006

United let me down on my birthday again :(

Day 15 - 3rd April 2006

Normally my birthday would involve either going to work, drinking with my mates in the evening or watching Torquay lose. None of these things happened today... quite. Although I wasn't watching them, Torquay kept up tradition and went down one-nil to Rushden which ruined the day. :(

In actual fact I woke up in Mamallapuram on the West coast of India, a seaside resort overlookign the Bay of Bengal. I'd only woken because of the sound of a local artisan chiseling away at a Hindu Idol in the plot next to our hotel. We went on a bike ride during the day around Hindu shrines carvered into boulders and sea front temples damaged by the tsunami. This was followed up by visiting a boy's orphanage on the edge of town, finally enjoying a mad journey (yes, another one) into Chennai and a birthday chorus on the overnight train to Mysore. Certainly a big difference from normal, but I was still utterly miserable when I called my parents and found out that Torquay lost. I think I should sort my priorities out.

I've decided that I going to take better care of myself - I've become a bit battered over the last few days. Firstly, I won't take on people younger than me at sport any more. I was soundly trounced at volleyball by the lads at the boy's orphanage and ended up with a gashed knee in the process. Being sat down and fanned by 12-year-old boys was a tad humiliating. Secondly, I will make an effort to eat more protein. According to our group leader, Prya, you don't have to think about a balanced veggie diet in North India because everything comes with dhal, but in the south you shoud be more vigilant. Dhal is my friend and it will put an end to my lethargy. Last of all one starchy meal a day is quite enough in India! I realy miss salad and fresh veg. :(

We've been on this trip for 11 days now, and our group has gelled. Perhaps I should tell you a little about them. Karmaprya (Prya for short) is our group leader. She is a Swede who has adopted a Sanskrit name. James and I have been able to chat to her a lot about Stockholm. She's 36 and has spent the last five years in India studying yoga. There is Sue, from Suffolk, who was until recently working for a tour guide company, and she has visited India 11 times! Isaac from Annaheim, California and orginally from Hong Kong has a passion for South Indian food and travel the world over. Lastly Jaz is 19 year-old from Esher who is off to study English Literatue at Cambridge next Autumn. She's been to Thailand so we've been swapping information on travelling and studying.

I've just heard two of my friends in Reading were arrested for an action at Heathrow targetting BAA. I hope they are OK. I'm off to drop an email to them.

2 comments:

Chris Hynd said...

Yo Dan, just for you I've started a new game on Football Manager 2006 as Torquay. I will endeavour to (virtually) keep them in the division and maybe bring you a bit of cheer as the real life United let you down.

Dan said...

Cheers Chris, it's probably the only way now :(

Still, at least there's a lot of teams in the conference near me...